CAF’s strength lies in its members – a group of highly successful men and women residing or having interest in the greater Charlotte Region. The membership represents a variety of professional experiences and include those having direct experience in high growth industries and technologies.
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP
Among the benefits that members receive via participation in the fund are:
- Opportunity for attractive return on investment
- Access to deal flow
- Opportunity to invest additional capital (beyond fund participation) in deals of particular interest to that member
- Awareness and education on topics relevant to angel investors
- Networking with like-minded individuals
- Access to local venture events such as Charlotte Venture Challenge and demo days for local incubators (RevTech Labs, CLT Joules, Queen City Forward, City Startup Labs, etc.)
CAF is a committed capital fund. This means that a member must invest a certain amount to buy into the fund. The financial commitment required for participation in the fund is a minimum of $30,000, with a maximum participation in the fund of $100,000 for any one investor. The reason for having a maximum is to ensure that decision-making by the membership well distributed.
In addition, members have the option of making additional investments into companies which CAF invests. This add-on options allows members to increase their participation in companies of most interest to them.
Being a member provides opportunities to participate throughout the investment process, including:
- Sourcing deals
- Screening potential portfolio companies
- Monthly membership meetings with company presentations
- Due diligence efforts
- Board service
- Mentoring entrepreneurs
Members must meet one of the following criteria within the definition of an accredited investor, as established by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- A natural person with income exceeding $200,000 in each of the two most recent years or joint income with a spouse exceeding $300,000 for those years and a reasonable expectation of the same income level in the current year; or a trust with assets in excess of $5 million, not formed to acquire the securities offered, whose purchases a sophisticated person makes.
- A natural person who has individual net worth, or joint net worth with the person’s spouse, that exceeds $1 million at the time of the purchase, excluding the value of the primary residence of such person.
- A bank, insurance company, registered investment company, business development company, or small business investment company.
- An employee benefit plan, within the meaning of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act, if a bank, insurance company, or registered investment adviser makes the investment decisions, or if the plan has total assets in excess of $5 million.
- A charitable organization, corporation, or partnership with assets exceeding $5 million.
- A director, executive officer, or general partner of the company selling the securities.
- A business in which all the equity owners are accredited investors.
Individuals who may be interested in membership are encouraged to learn more by attending one or more of our monthly meetings as a guest. If you wish to take advantage of this opportunity please contact our Administrator, Greg Brown, at 980-307-0754 or gbrown@CLTAngelFund.com.